Friday, July 24, 2015

Apologies for no posts

Ok so much is going on and I haven't had a post in 4 weeks.  Not cool.  In fact we have concluded week 6 at camp and our last week of Harvest camp starts Monday.  35 campers are signed up and I won my bet with my son Joe that in at least 1 of the 3 weeks of Harvest camp we would enroll 30 campers. It is a bet he was happy to lose.

The corn is over 11 feet high.  I would like to say that I have never seen corn stalks this tall ever, but I have never lived so close to a corn field before.  Still I have never seen corn stalks this tall.  So much early summer rain and now abundant sunshine will truly make for a bumper harvest for the field corn.  We planted two varieties of sweet corn with one a 65 day variety and the other a 80 day.  There were supposed to be 6 rows of each surrounding my house and only three rows germinated.  No matter, we have so much corn to pick it will be a challenge to sell and eat all of it.

One of the true joys of summer is the smell of a corn field ripening.  There is a sweetness that fills the nostrils.  It only lasts for a couple of weeks but it is unmistakable.  Put that crop within 20 feet of your bedroom window and I savor enjoy every inhalation.

One of the other oddities with the corn crop is that the view of my camp from my patio has disappeared.  Three weeks ago I noticed that I could barely see the soccer field.  Then the baseball fields fell out of view.  Now I can only see the top of my son Drew's house.  We are completely enclosed and will be until October.  Last year, our first year in the house we had soy beans.  I feared that corn could cost me the view and it certainly has, but at least I am not claustrophobic.

So this post will be about the corn and I have another coming about everything else that is growing.

No comments:

Post a Comment