Sunday, March 20, 2016

Rookie Farmer beginning year 3

So I am not sure how to change the title of 57 year old Rookie Farmer when I will turn 60 this October and I am a two season veteran.  But I will keep the name so that everyone can find my posts.

The biggest news from the winter is that Farmer Josh has left for Washington State and Nick Miller is my new farmer.  I will provide more information on Nick as the Spring advances but he brings a lot of knowledge and as much as we will miss Josh I am confident that Mountainside will not miss a beat.

All winter Valinda and Nick have been visiting our after school programs as part of Harvest Club with stunning success.  More than 40 after-schoolers signed up at Rachel Carson and Kensington Parkwood and we are developing a legion of engaged students and parents.  The kids have been planting seedlings, making pesto, and learning healthy eating habits.  All during a dormant growing season. As March advances to April the kids will begin to visit Mountainside and the growing season kicks into high gear

This Monday I am purchasing a Roto-Tiller to mount on the back of my tractor and we will till the entire acre garden area.  Cover crop will be planted and we will re-till in April to mix in the organic plant material as well as compost.  Nick and I have agreed to start modestly this Spring and we will focus exclusively on the greenhouse and garden area.  No mushrooms until everything else is under control.  Josh and I were guilty of over extending ourselves last year and we had as many failures as successes.  Once we have the garden under control and we can find more help we will look to expand.

Old man Winter sent and unwelcomed reminder that March is still within his grasp, and Nick spent all of Friday protecting our seedlings in the greenhouse and brought as many trays into the office as would fit.  Still... it looks like an early Spring and we should have a jump on the growing season.

Teaching is as much a focus as growing at Mountainside and we hope to fill 4 weeks of harvest camp this summer.  With over 250 kids participating in the harvest club program this winter we have already

cultivated a healthy following.  We will see.

No comments:

Post a Comment